News2019 Flood


FEMA encourages those affected by flooding not to wait to start recovery

Posted: 9:02 PM, Mar 26, 2019
Updated: 2019-03-26 22:02:34-04
flood water.PNG

OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — The full impact of recent blizzards and widespread flooding continues to be assessed. Even if your county hasn't been declared for Individual Assistance, FEMA recommends not waiting to start recovery.

Storm-affected people and businesses are encouraged to report damage to county emergency management officials. It's important for officials to have the most complete photos of the impact as the data will provide state emergency and FEMA officials with a better scope on the damage.

A press release from FEMA suggests doing the following to jump-start the recovery process, even if your county hasn't been declared for Individual Assistance:

  • Call your insurance agent to see if there is coverage for your losses under a traditional homeowner’s or renter’s policy, or under a flood insurance policy.
  • Document your damage. Take photos or video. Make lists of damaged items.

Homeowners and renters in Butler, Cass, Colfax, Dodge, Douglas, Nemaha, Sarpy, Saunders and Washington counties are eligible to apply for federal disaster assistance.

The assistance can help in making temporary repairs to damaged homes, paying for another short-term place to live while repairs are being made, or help with serious disaster-related needs not previously covered by other programs.

Residents and business owners can apply online here or call SBA'S Customer Service Center at (800)-659-2955.