OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — Due to flooding, people across the state have lost their homes, vehicles, lives and more. Many have also lost their jobs. The Nebraska Labor Commissioner John H. Albin says there may be assistance for those who have found themselves unable to support their family.
Today, Albin said 12 additional counties are now eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) in addition to 15 previously announced counties and one tribe.
The new additions are Antelope, Boyd, Burt, Cuming, Hall, Howard, Madison, Nance, Pierce, Platte, Saline, and Stanton counties. People in these areas will have until May 13 to apply for DUA.
To be eligible for DUA benefits under the Presidential Disaster Declaration, individuals must:
· Be an unemployed worker whose unemployment was caused as a direct result of the major disaster declared by the President
· Be a U.S. national or a qualified alien; and
· Not qualify for regular unemployment insurance benefits from any state; and
· Have worked or been self-employed in, or scheduled to begin work or self-employment in, one of the counties listed above; and
· Establish that the work or self-employment they can no longer perform was their primary source of income.
Also eligible to apply for DUA are individuals who:
· Can no longer work or perform services because of physical damage or destruction to the place of employment as a direct result of a disaster; or
· Cannot perform work or self-employment because of an injury caused as a direct result of the disaster; or
· Became the breadwinner or major support of a household because of the death of the head of the household; or,
· Cannot work or perform self-employment due to closure of a facility by the federal government.
The department of Labor also said:
"DUA applicants will need their Social Security Number and the name and address of their last employer or prospective employer to file for DUA. Applicants are required to provide proof (at the time of filing or within 21 days of filing their DUA claim) that they were employed or self-employed at the time the disaster occurred or were scheduled to begin (or resume) a job or self-employment when the disaster occurred. A copy of the most recent federal income tax forms or check stubs may also be required (self-employed individuals should also provide Schedules SE and Schedule C or Schedule F.)"
You can begin the application process at: https://neworks.nebraska.gov/vosnet/Default.aspx
The previously-eligible counties of Antelope, Boyd, Burt, Cuming, Hall, Howard, Madison, Nance, Pierce, Platte, Saline, and Stanton counties. People in those areas will have until April 26 to apply.
People in Boone, Buffalo, Custer, Knox, Richardson and Thurston counties and the Santee Sioux Nation have until May 3 to apply.
Additional eligible counties may still be named at a later date.