Monday night, students from five local elementary schools presented production numbers from their Disney KIDS musicals—the capstone of Omaha Performing Arts’ second year partnership with Disney Musicals in Schools.
Students appeared in make-up and wore costumes they created for their school performances. Teachers and students in grades 3-6 have spent the past 17 weeks casting, staging and rehearsing their 30 minute musicals. Monday's showcase highlights one number from each production and puts the kids on stage at the Holland Performing Arts Center.
• Edison Elementary – performing The Aristocats KIDS
• Douglas County West Elementary – performing The Jungle Book KIDS
• Loveland Elementary – performing The Lion King KIDS
• Plattsmouth Elementary – performing 101 Dalmatians KIDS
• Wake Robin Elementary – performing The Jungle Book KIDS
The plays are made possible by Omaha Performing Arts. OPA received a $100,000 grant from Disney Theatrical Group in 2016, designed to implement the Disney Musicals in Schools program for two years.
The initiative was developed by Disney Theatrical Group to create sustainable theater programs. With these five schools, now ten area schools total across five different school districts are doing Disney. There's also plans to continue expansion next year.