It is "a medley of endurance" in the metro this weekend as another national event kicks off in Omaha.
Saturday morning, the USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships get underway at Levi Carter Park.
Competitors have to complete a 1,500 meter swim in Carter Lake, 40 kilometer bike ride north on River Rd. and back, and then a 10 kilometer run that ends back at the park. Age ranges for men and women go from 24 & under to 60 & over.
More than 4,000 competitors and 10,000 people are expected to be in town for the event. It’s estimated the triathlon could bring in upwards of $10 million to Omaha since people come from all over the country.
"I think I did pretty good I'm trying to qualify for worlds and I'm close. I really don't know you have to be top 18 to qualify for worlds. So that was my focus today, what kept me going," said Mark Szymanski of Florida.
Events continue this weekend with the triathlon for more age groups so there will continue to be road closures Sunday from 6am until 12:30pm. Here’s a list of those closures:
- Pershing Drive will be closed from 16th Street all the way north to N. River Road into Douglas and Washington County, up to County Road P-4.
- 16th Street will be closed from Pershing Drive to Storz Expressway.
- Storz Expressway will be closed from 16th Street to Abbott Drive.
- 11th Street will be closed from Carter Lake Shore Drive West to Izard Street.
- Cuming Street will be closed from 10th to 13th Street. Traffic will be detoured one block south to Mike Fahey Street.
Carter Lake Shore Drive North and East Carter Blvd from Abbott Drive to Cornish Blvd is closed and will remain closed until Sunday evening.
All travelers to Eppley Airfield will need to use Abbott Drive from the south. More information for airline travelers is available on www.flyoma.com or by contacting the Airport at 402-661-8017.