NewsLocal News

Actions

Keyless ignitions at fault for some carbon monoxide injuries

Remote starts blamed for carbon monoxide injuries
Posted: 5:58 PM, Dec 06, 2018
Updated: 2018-12-07 12:43:04Z
Keyless ignitions at fault for some carbon monoxide injuries

OMAHA, NEB. (KMTV) — It's a common habit in the winter, starting up the car to let it warm up before your morning commute. But that habit has serious consequences, especially if you have a remote car starter.

Keyless ignitions caused 28 carbon monoxide deaths and 45 related injuries since 2006, according to KidsandCars.org.

"[It's] handy to have, they're kind fool-proof," Papillion Fire Chief Bill Bowes said. "[But] if you bump it against a table or counter, you might activate the car."

Ice, snow and other debris can clog your exhaust pipes. With nowhere else to go, carbon monoxide can find its way inside your car. Austin Moss at Ray's Corner Garage says replacing the catalytic converter is all it takes to fix the problem.

"The catalytic converter's job is to collect all the particles," Moss said.

Taking the time to warming up outside or getting a checkup can save you a serious headache when it comes to this problematic gas.

Bowes recommends installing carbon monoxide detectors outside bedrooms.