News2019 Flood


State environmental agencies ask Nebraskans to report 'orphaned containers'

Posted at 3:58 PM, Apr 24, 2019
and last updated 2019-04-24 16:58:16-04

LINCOLN, Neb. (KMTV) — Environmental agencies with the State of Nebraska are asking residents to report containers of potentially hazardous materials displaced by the March floods.

The Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality is teaming up with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to identify, report and remove these containers, also called orphaned containers.

Those who find the containers should report them to their county emergency manager or call the NDEQ hotline at 1-877-253-2603.

After containers are reported, the EPA will make a record of it and arrange for its removal.

Nebraskans are asked to provide as much information as they can regarding any displaced containers on their property or in their communities by May 3.

Orphaned containers include propane tanks, drums and totes which could hold substances that are hazardous.

Residents are asked to only report containers larger than 20-pound propane tanks and include photos if possible when reporting the objects.

For more information, visit this website.