RALSTON, Neb. (KMTV) — On Thursday, Ralston Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Mark Adler said students will be returning to in-person learning five days a week. Parents and guardians will have the option to keep their students enrolled remotely but there is a deadline to apply.
Dr. Adler released the following regarding the upcoming changes:
It is hard to believe we are approaching one year since the COVID-19 pandemic has affected our learning environment here in Ralston Public Schools. This past year has brought highs, lows, and multiple challenges, adding additional stresses to our lives. Thank you for keeping our journey moving in a positive direction with your support and sacrifices while having your students learning in our Yellow Instructional Level, or our Extended Campus Learning Program.
It has become clear to me, especially during 2020, that teachers, school staff, parents, and community, are important components in teaching, guiding, and nurturing our students. As we review the first semester and look ahead to the remainder of the school year, it's time Ralston Public Schools takes the next step in our Return to Learn Protocol.
At this time, we will begin to transition to five days a week, in-person learning for all students. For families not comfortable with five day a week, in-person learning, RPS will continue to offer our Extended Campus Learning Program.
For more information, or to change between Extended Campus and in-person learning, please click on the corresponding link. English Espanol
Here are some of the reasons why we are making the transition.
• In order to improve upon student academic performance and growth
• Concern for student mental health and well-being
• A decrease in the number of students taking advantage of food availability
• To provide students more time with educators and school staff
• Neighboring districts have maintained or transitioned to five day in-person learning with larger student populations
This transition will help our students move forward as we begin our recovery learning process through the daily support of their academic achievement and mental health.
Health & Safety Protocols Will Remain In-Place
Throughout the entire COVID-19 pandemic, our District has taken a cautious approach to our Return to Learn plan. We have kept a strong focus on the health and safety of our students and staff. This focus will not change in the transition to five day a week, in-person learning. Although they might look somewhat different, our mitigation strategies and health and safety protocols will continue and include the required use of facial coverings, enhanced disinfecting processes, and being able to provide social-distancing measures to the best of our ability.
Specific changes to each building plan are currently in development by the Administration. Principals will provide additional details in future communications for each building. RPS will also post information on the District website.
Five Day a Week In-Person Learning Transition Timeline:
• Thursday, January 21st - Intent form opens for the transition between in-personlearning and the Extended Campus Learning Program.
• Friday, February 5th - Intent form deadline for the transition between in-personlearning and Extended Campus Learning Program.
• Tuesday, February 16th - NO SCHOOL (PK-12) for staff preparation for in-personlearning.
• Monday, February 22nd - Grades PK-8 return to five day, in-person learning.
• Monday, March 1st - Grades 9-12 return to five day, in-person learning.
We care so much for our students and look forward to having them in school each day. We are all committed to your student's success in their educational journey here in Ralston Public Schools. Thank you for your continued effort to support our educators and your child’s learning by following health guidelines in and out of school. We will take this next step together, as a Ram Family, providing opportunities and creating a climate of hope.
Dr. Mark Adler
Ralston Public Schools
Download - 5 Day In-Person Learning Fact Sheet 2021
Download - Hoja informativa de aprendizaje presencial de 5 días en español 2021