A popular Christmas present will now come with government strings attached.
New rules from the Federal Aviation Administration went into effect on Monday. Owners of drones or other small unmanned aircraft are now required to register them.
But there are some exceptions, according to experts at a local retailer.
"It depends on what you buy, though, because a majority of what we sell isn't effected by it. They aren't heavy enough. It's only for the large scale drones," explained Alex Sturgeon, with HobbyTown USA HobbyPlex.
Five things to know:
1. The aircraft must weigh more than .55 pounds and less than 55 pounds.
2. Owners have to renew registration every three years.
3. Owners must have their registration on hand while operating.
4. Owners who register must be at least 13 years old. Parents or an adult can register for anyone younger than 13.
5. You can register online here.