OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — The first football Friday is in the books amid smaller crowds, but student athletes from Omaha high schools are saying it’s their turn.
At least half a dozen student athletes from different Omaha schools posted their messages on social media urging OPS Superintendent Cheryl Logan to reconsider her decision. They’re using the hastag #letusplay.
“I can appreciate that Dr. Logan was looking out for our safety early on. Now that other schools have shown we can do this safely, it’s time to free OPS. Let us play,” Omaha North senior football player Hunter Push tweeted.
Earlier this month, Omaha Public Schools went to fully remote learning so all athletics were suspended until at least October 16.
“We understand the important role extra-curricular activities play in a student’s school experience. Just as we would like to be learning with students in person each day, we all wish they were taking the fields, trails, courts and courses to compete. We empathize with our students and families voicing disappointment and frustration. As we monitor transmission of COVID-19 in the Omaha community, informed by guidance from the Douglas County Health Department and partners like UNMC, if it is not the right time for students to learn socially distanced in a classroom, we know that group workouts, weightlifting and competition cannot take place in a safe and responsible manner. We care deeply for our students and it is not a decision reached lightly,” Omaha Public Schools said in a statement Monday.
NSAA says they’ve received a lot of calls on if students athletes could transfer schools. That deadline to file was on May 1, well before any fall sports were postponed. The NSAA says they wouldn’t change that deadline.
A rally is planned for Tuesday with student athletes and parents to support the return of OPS fall sports.