NewsLocal News

Actions

Contractor dispute leaves Omaha homeowners concerned

Posted at 10:44 PM, Nov 25, 2019
and last updated 2019-11-25 23:44:54-05

OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — A couple of Omaha homeowners want to know why the remodel they paid for wasn't completed.

They're taking it to court to hold the contractor accountable.

Clarice Jackson wanted to upgrade her unfinished basement and needed it done quickly.

She hired contractor Anthony Valentine, paying him $1250 upfront, and said he stopped answering calls.

“I just wanted some drywall, a floor, and a couple of can lights placed in here,” said Jackson. “He became very disrespectful, started sending text messages saying ‘you just need to be patient and wait.’ I said patient and waiting was not a part of the deal. I gave you a timeline, you have not communicated with me."

She put her experience on Facebook and says she learned others had been through the same.

Andre Williams says he paid Valentine but the entire job wasn't completed.

Both have now filed lawsuits against him in small claims court.

“Half of the work was completed, the drywall and the mold,” said Williams. “I'm still waiting on the gutters and a couple of other things since September. And I keep getting the runaround."

Valentine says he's a hard-working contractor trying to do jobs correctly.

In Jackson's case, he says he had an electrician ready to show up but she hired a different electrician who didn't get a permit after inspection, so he didn't feel comfortable doing the work.

Valentine says his sub-contractor, Joe, also installed flooring for Williams but he never paid him.

"I'm not trying to scam them,” said Valentine.

Both Jackson and Williams say they just want their money back and to inform others.