Firework injury changes man's life forever

Posted at 10:43 PM, Jul 02, 2016
and last updated 2016-07-02 23:44:57-04

Two years ago Jared “JD” Spencer was severely injured when a firework exploded in his hand.

July 4th of 2014 Spencer was out with his friends and then-finance having a good time when Spencer lit a quarter-stick of dynamite. Spencer says within 2 seconds it exploded and he lost his right hand.

“It knocked me on the ground, I got up, I looked and saw there was nothing there and I walked towards the crowds of people and told everybody I was ok, I didn't want anybody freaking out,” said Spencer.

It’s been a rough couple of years adjusting to the injury.

“Learning how to write again, tying your shoes, buttoning your shirt, even getting dressed in the morning a lot of things you had to re-learn,” said Spencer.

Today Spencer is a retail sales manager at Jensen Tire and Auto. He’s only been there two weeks. Before the accident Spencer was a mechanic, however this injury forced him to choose another path.

This injury could have been prevented, it’s a message Spencer hopes people pay attention to this weekend.

“Please, please be careful, be safe-especially watch the kids,” said Spencer.

The firework Spencer used was illegal, and says he now lights legal fireworks from far away.

Despite his injury, Spencer hopes to one day manage a mechanic shop.