NewsLocal News


Former Creighton play by play announcer makes miraculous recovery

Posted at 5:03 PM, Jan 03, 2019
and last updated 2019-01-03 18:03:38-05

OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — After 16 years calling Creighton basketball, Scott Marr's voice is a familiar one in Omaha.

But that voice was nearly silenced, after what looked like a major stroke that left swelling in his brain.

"We thought that this wasn't a recoverable process," says Dr. Rebecca Runge, hospitalist at Methodist Hospital.

His family was told, get ready for the worst.

"We all said are good byes," says Preston Marr, Scott’s daughter.

His kids went as far as preparing his cremation, but then his daughter Preston got a call to get to the hospital immediately.

"I went in just to talk to him like we have been this whole time and I said 'hi dad and he smiled at me and I literally thought I was dreaming, it was the craziest moment ever," says Preston Marr.

Scott recovered. he was going to live.

"From a medical standpoint, let's look at it that way, it was pretty freaking....a miracle," says Scott Marr.

Scott didn't have a stroke at all, instead a condition called Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome, or PRES, likely caused by high blood pressure.

Now he's getting back to full health, even cooking eggs as part of his rehab to help his brain recover.

It was such a surprise to his family that he got the name "Miracle Man."

"This whole thing has been a miracle from God, I did not die, I don't have to die, I'm back here and I hope to give people some comfort and hope, that if they are in fact going through anything like that, that it's safe place," says Scott Marr.

He was unconscious for around two days in mid December, during that span he had what some might call a near death experience. In the dream, he says he saw his deceased dad walking along Dodge Street.

"He said, what are you doing here? And I said I'm looking to work and he said there's no work here, you better get your butt home," says Scott Marr.

Scott takes that as a directive, that his time on earth isn't over yet. And now that he's back in the real world, he hasn't lost his sense of humor.

"You guys and then the team all worked together as a team to save my life and now here I am and watch me get hit my a bus."

Scott says that he's gotten all sorts of support from the Bluejay community. In fact head coach Greg McDermott and athletic director Bruce Rasmussen paid him visits while in the hospital.