OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — Girl Scouts Spirit of Nebraska have revealed 42 new badges that allow girls to make their own choices about how they want to experience and influence the world.
The badges enhance existing girl-led programming, offering girls everything from adventuring in the snow to learning how to solve problems through coding.
In addition to existing badge offerings, girls in grades 6–12 can now pursue:
- Nine Cybersecurity badges - Scouts learn about the inner workings of computer technology and cybersecurity, while learning how to apply concepts of safety and protection to every day tech use.
- Three Space Science badges - Girls explore topics such as the universe, properties of light, and careers in space science (funded by NASA’s Science Mission Directorate and led by the SETI Institute).
- Think Like a Citizen Scientist - Girl Scouts participate in interactive activities to practice observation techniques, collect data and share their findings with real-world scientists through an online network.
The new programming for girls in grades K–12 includes:
- 12 Outdoor High Adventure badges - Girl Scouts explore nature and experience adventures such as backpacking, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, rock climbing and tree climbing.
- 18 Coding for Good badges - Scouts learn the basics of coding, but also apply their coding skills for good, like designing a digital game to educate people about an issue.