With temperatures expected to be above 90 throughout the long weekend, it is important to know how to stay safe during times of excessive heat, especially considering how much there is to do around Omaha for Memorial Day.
The Red Cross offers the following to avoid heat related illnesses:
- Eat small meals and eat more often
- Stay hydrated, avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight and light-colored clothing
- Take frequent breaks if you are working outdoors, avoid strenuous outdoor activity
- Do not leave children or pets in enclosed vehicles