OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies number changed, now offers more services.
Here's a release from the Department of Health and Human Services regarding the change:
It’s a trusted resource for parents to get their babies off to a healthy start. What was known as the Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies Helpline (1-800-862-1889) is now 2-1-1.
“The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services has partnered with Nebraska 2-1-1 to provide information regarding referral to services for moms and babies throughout the state,” said Sara Morgan, Lifespan Health administrator for DHHS. “This partnership means parents will continue to get the helpful information and referrals just like they did with the helpline, but in addition, they can also be directed to other relevant services and support systems that are offered.”
2-1-1 is a free, comprehensive information and referral system linking Nebraska residents to health and human service programs, community services, disaster services and governmental programs:
- Basic human needs resources - food pantries, clothing closets, shelters, rent assistance, utility assistance
- Physical and mental health resources - health insurance programs, Medicaid and Medicare, maternal health care, medical information lines, crisis intervention services, support groups, counseling, substance abuse and intervention rehabilitation
- Employment supports - financial assistance, job training, educational programs
- Support for older Americans and people with disabilities - adult day care, aging and disability resource centers, congregate meals, respite care, home health care, transportation, homemaker services
- Support for children, youth and families - child care, Head Start, family resource centers, holiday assistance, parenting, summer camps and recreation programs, summer meal programs, mentoring, protective services
- Volunteer opportunities and donation services
2-1-1 Assistance is available in multiple languages, and services are accessible to people with disabilities.
Contact 2-1-1 by phone, text, or online:
Direct - 2-1-1; 402-444-6666 Toll Free: 2-1-1; 866-813-1731
Text - Text your zip code to 898211
Hours - Mon – Fri 7 am – 8 pm; Sat 8 am – 5pm (for after hours: answer machine available with options)
Email - Nebraska211@uwmidlands.org