- Unlicensed in-home daycare providers can watch up to three children who are not members of their family; more than that would be considered a violation by the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Ask if the provider is licensed and ask to see a copy
- Request a background check.
- Search The Department of Health and Human Services website to see if the daycare has had past disciplinary actions.
- Call references
- Drop in un-announced for a tour during business hours.
The Nebraska Resource and Referral System says you should always look into at least three childcare providers before picking the best fit for your child.