NewsLocal News


Humane Society reports two cases of pets harmed by rat poisoning

Posted at 12:03 PM, Jan 12, 2018
and last updated 2018-01-12 14:44:50-05

The Nebraska Humane Society has had two cases of a pet ingesting rat poison in the last week, according to a spokesperson. 

Both dogs survived and the Humane Society credits quick action as a reason why. 

Pet owners are encouraged to use non-chemicals methods to catch rodents in their homes because dogs and cats are also attracted to the poisons. 

Clinical signs your pet might have ingested rat poison:  Lethargy, difficulty breathing, pale gums, bad breath, drooling, coughing and vomiting, a bloody nose, bleeding gums, swelling or bumps on the skin, tremors, seizures, kidney failure, and other problems.

It is important pets that are expected of ingesting rat poison are treated by veterinarian as fast as possible.