Would you like to receive local news notifications on your desktop?
Iowa boaters urged to help stop spread of zebra mussels
Posted: 12:09 PM, Aug 17, 2018
Updated: 2018-08-17 13:09:48-04
Copyright 2018 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
is asking boat owners to take several steps to help stop the spread of
invasive zebra mussels
earlier this summer in Lake Cunningham
could force officials to drain the lake
Iowa boat owners are being asked to:
- Clean all mud, plants, and animals from your boat and equipment before you leave the water.
- Drain all the water from the boat and equipment
- Dry everything it touched, including people and pets.
- Avoid releasing fish, animals or plants into the water unless they came from that same body of water; and empty all unwanted bait in the trash.
Then before going to another lake or river, the Iowa DNR recommends boaters take these steps:
- Spray down your boat with high-pressure, hot water.
- After the spray down, let it dry for at least five days.
Copyright 2019 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.