Iowa boat owners are being asked to:
- Clean all mud, plants, and animals from your boat and equipment before you leave the water.
- Drain all the water from the boat and equipment
- Dry everything it touched, including people and pets.
- Avoid releasing fish, animals or plants into the water unless they came from that same body of water; and empty all unwanted bait in the trash.
Then before going to another lake or river, the Iowa DNR recommends boaters take these steps:
- Spray down your boat with high-pressure, hot water.
- After the spray down, let it dry for at least five days.