NewsLocal News


Kitchen fire ignites at Omaha Fire station

Posted at 6:14 PM, Jul 30, 2018
and last updated 2018-07-30 19:33:49-04

No one was hurt after Sunday morning's fire at Fire Station Engine 43. 

"What happened was the engine was cooking and left food on the stove, that was the cause of the actual fire," said Battalion Chief Scott Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick says four firefighters were sent on a medical call around 10 am and forgot to turn the burner off.

"During that time the battalion chief was in the station still, he smelled something, smelled smoke and saw that there was a fire in the kitchen area," said Fitzpatrick.

Those same firefighters were called back to put out the fire they started.

"It started in the stove and went to the cabinets and the rest of the kitchen cabinet area,"said Fitzpatrick.

"We get called away from the station while we are cooking quite a bit and most times we are diligent in turning off the stove and turning off the burner," said Fitzpatrick.

Engine 43 is currently working out of Engine 42 and 52, impacting response times.

Fitzpatrick says they'll be moving to the Northwest police precinct in a couple days.

"So in doing that, it will make sure no response times will be effected anymore being that close to where the fire stations was," said Fitzpatrick.

They just want to use their mistake as a teachable moment for the public not to make the same mistake.

"If you're simmering, make sure you're there so you can stir it so nothing will catch on fire,"said Fitzpatrick.