Lightning starts fire at Bellevue home

BELLEVUE, NEB (KMTV) - Within a blink of an eye, this Bellevue family lost nearly everything.

"I was startled out of my sleep at 4 o'clock in the morning," said Jeremy Cox.

Jeremy Cox says he woke up to a loud boom and his wife screaming.

"I came out of the bedroom, she hollered my name, and I came out and said I understand something bad happened," said Cox.

This picture is what neighbors saw outside of the Cox family's home.

"My neighbor was already pounding on my door saying it was a fire, and it was a fire at my gas meter," said Cox.

Fortunately his two kids and his wife made it out safely, but their two cats were left behind.

"I went back to see if we could get the pets, but the smoke was so thick I couldn't get through the top of the stairs," said Cox.

Neighbors are now coming together showing compassion and support for the family.

"We are always ready to get together and do what we can even if it's a little donation here, a little donation there, because it could happen to us," said Amanda Cost.

Giving away clothes, money, even toiletries until the Cox family gets back on their feet.

"We have more clothes than we know what to do with," said Cox.

Despite the loss, Cox is thankful and trying to stay positive.

"A lot of it is lost because of smoke damage, but the important thing is that our family got out," said Cox.

You can donate to the Cox Family on their  gofundme https://www.gofundme.com/b5kps7-help-the-cox-family

Print this article Back to Top