City inspectors were still on scene Friday at the Yale Park Apartments near 34th & Lake St. after 500 people had to vacate. The city received more than 90 complaints and later found major gas leaks, electrical problems, and Carbon Monoxide as well as lice, rodents and bed bugs.
Dozens of families are back again to pick up as much of their belongings as they could though every door has a danger sign posted. The city allows people to take what they can out of the vacated buildings since electricity and gas were shut off.
Inspector say 30-40-percent of the buildings had major gas leaks, and 5 buildings were shut down for potentially life threatening electrical problems.
The landlord, Kay Anderson, says the city won't let him into the buildings to start repairs and he wants to help the people get back into their homes.
"They're feeling not good right now because they have to move out and some they can't go to work you know they have to move out," said Lim Bus, a friend of a tenant.
Mayor Jean Stothert said there are more than 1,000 violations some of them life threatening.
The city says they will turn over a list of violations early next week. Depending in the severity the landlord will have between 30-90 days to complete it, but tenants can't come back until an entire building has been inspected and approved for occupancy.