OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — A report from State Farm Insurance says Nebraska took the number six spot for hail damage payouts in 2018.
State Farm says Nebraskans made nearly 6,000 claims for more than $200 million worth of damages to cars and homes. Of those claims, approximately $84 million was paid out.
The five states that had more hail damage claims paid were:
1. Colorado $598 million
2. Texas $437 million
3. Illinois $329 million
4. Minnesota $170 million
5. Missouri $88 million
State Farm offered these tips to avoid hail damage to your home and car:
· Good tree pruning can prevent many problems associated with a hail storm.
· When building or remodeling, consider impact resistant roofing to reduce hail damage to your home.
· Make sure you have a home inventory; take pictures or video and store them digitally.
· Talk to your agent and ask about your coverage and deductible
· Move vehicles into garage and secure outdoor furniture.
· Do not let contractors on your roof until you talk to your insurance agent.