OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — The Nebraska Regional Poison Center wants to give a few tips on Kratom use.
- Kratom is a tropical tree, and the leaves contain various compounds that can cause poisoning when smoked or ingested.
- Kratom is used as a stimulant at low doses and as a sedative at high doses.
- It's an unregulated herbal supplement. The FDA does not regulate, monitor the safety or purity of Kratom. It could be laced with other drugs if purchased at stores, gas stations, or off the internet.
- The leaves contain compounds that can cause mind-altering effects, and the use of Kratom has been linked to 36 deaths in the U.S, and serious side effects like hallucinations and withdrawal symptoms.
- The withdrawl symptoms include hostility, aggression, jerky movement of arms and legs, and confusion.