NewsLocal News

Actions

Old Market building evacuated after unsafe carbon monoxide readings

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-KMTV.png
Posted at 9:32 PM, Dec 16, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-16 22:32:58-05

OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — Unsafe carbon monoxide readings led to the evacuation of the Barry O's building in the Old Market Monday evening.

The Omaha Fire Department noted a chemical odor and haze in the building upon arrival around 4:30 p.m.

Workers had been applying an expandable foam-type product into the sidewalk areas around the building, according to Battalion Chief Scott Fitzpatrick.

Roughly 1,700 lbs of the product had been applied Monday.

The product applied in such a large quantity and short time frame was creating a breathing irritant.

Readings of carbon monoxide in the basement of Barry O's were deemed unsafe.

Emergency crews checked all areas of the building and evacuated those inside.

Crews ventilated the area and readings eventually went down to zero.

Some tenants of the building are staying at a nearby hotel tonight as a precaution.