The Papillion Fire Department hosted a control burn demonstration today showing elementary school students how quickly a fire can cause serious damage.
The demonstration was held in conjunction with Fire Safety and Prevention week.
The demonstration showed two rooms - one of which was equipped to show the impact of a sprinkler system.
Within four minutes, the room not equipped with sprinklers was completely covered in flames.
"It was just these big flames that were really red. And a bunch of black smoke coming out," said Delaney Dimauro, fifth grade, Prairie Queen Elementary.
The simulation showed how quickly flames can spread in a matter of minutes.
"In this simulated room that we had, at about the three minute mark the smoke was thick enough to the point, it would be to where somebody wouldn't be able to reason out of a building," said Papillion Fire Chief Bill Bowes. "They'd be so overcome with gases and carbon monoxide it would ruin their reasoning ability."
Other recommendations to keep in mind this Fire Prevention Week are to make sure doors and windows aren't blocked in your home, have two ways out of every room, practice fire drills, and check fire detector batteries.