Police release details in deadly standoff

Police release details in deadly standoff
Posted at 10:46 PM, May 15, 2017
and last updated 2017-05-16 10:34:35-04
Omaha Police have released more details about a standoff that ended with a wanted suspect's death Monday morning.
Police went to a home near 34th and Grand to execute a "no-knock" warrant for 19 year old Tyler Krebs-Johnson, who was the subject of an active drug and weapons distribution investigation, and also had a misdemeanor warrant out for his arrest.
As members of the Omaha Police SWAT team entered the home just after 7 a.m., they heard two gunshots coming from the basement as they prepared to go down the stairs. A woman came up the stairs and several more shots were fired. 
Omaha Police Crisis Negotiators responded to the scene and attempted to establish contact with Krebs-Johnson.  Negotiators attempted to contact Krebs-Johnson by text messages, bull horn, and by placing a phone into the basement area.  The Negotiators were unable to establish contact with Krebs-Johnson.  Investigators found a post made on Krebs-Johnson's Facebook page at 7:08 a.m. that said, "Last post went out witta bang".
About three hours later, a police video camera equipped robot was deployed into the residence.  Video from the robot showed a person lying on a bed in the basement bedroom.  SWAT officers then entered the residence and found Krebs-Johnson dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound from a 40 caliber semi-auto handgun found in Krebs-Johnson's right hand. No Omaha Police Officers discharged their firearms during this incident, and no one else was injured.
The Officer-Involved Investigations Team is investigating the incident.  The seven witnesses that were removed from the residence have been interviewed.  One of the witnesses was inside the bedroom with Krebs-Johnson when he began shooting. The woman said she was awakened by the sounds of gunshots and Krebs-Johnson shooting the handgun.  She also told investigators that she heard the loud commands of "Omaha Police", and that she feared that Krebs-Johnson would shoot her.  The witness said that she ran from the bedroom.  
At this point in the investigation, fourteen officers that were at the scene of this incident have been interviewed. Seven spent shell casings have been recovered.  Evidence from the scene showed that Krebs-Johnson, while in the basement, fired his handgun towards the stairwell and in an upwards direction to the top of the stairs.  Two of the bullets passed through the door at the top of the stairs.   Forensic firearms examinations will be completed as part of the investigation.  Anyone who has any information about Krebs-Johnson or who witnessed this incident is encouraged to call the Omaha Police Department at 404-444-5656. Since this is considered an in-custody death, a Grand Jury will be convened to investigate per state law.
One occupant that was removed from the house was also a suspect in the drug and weapons distribution investigation.  Officers recovered LSD inside the home during the search.  20 year old Nicholas Paez was booked in to the Douglas County jail for possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance.