OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — The American Red Cross is opening a cooling center in Council Bluffs, due to the excessive heat. The center is located at Salem Baptist Church (24955 Somerset Avenue) and will be open from 1-7 p.m. today. Anybody needing a place to escape the heat is welcome.
The Red Cross has some tips to keep in mind as the temperatures rise
- Never leave children or pets in hot vehicles. The inside temperature can quickly reach 120 degrees.
- Drink plenty of fluids, and avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol.
- If someone doesn’t have air conditioning, they should seek relief from the heat during the warmest part of the day in places like schools, libraries, theaters, malls, etc.
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, light-colored clothing. Dark colors absorb the sun's rays, so it's best to avoid those.
- Stay indoors and avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest part of the day.
- Postpone outdoor games and activities.
- Check on animals frequently to ensure that they are not suffering from the heat, and make sure they have plenty of cool water.
The Salvation Army also has some cooling centers open around Omaha.