OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — Summer is officially here and many people are already getting out their grills. But the Douglas County Health Department says if you don't take the proper precautions, a day of eating outside could make you sick.
Joe Gaube with the Douglas County Health Department says one of the biggest mistakes he sees people make is not using a thermometer to check the temperature of meat.
According to the health department internal temperatures of cooked meats should be:
Another issue Gaube sees is people who don't use separate plates and utensils between raw and ready to eat foods. Gaube says this can cause cross-contamination.
Gaube's last tip is a simple one, but many people forget it, handwashing. Gaube says you should always wash your hands before and immediately after they come into contact with raw meats.
For more tips from the health department click here: https://www.douglascountyhealth.com/latest-news [douglascountyhealth.com]