OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — The Omaha Police Department is seeing a number of burglary reports where suspects are entering homes through the garage. OPD wants to help you protect your home from burglars and they have a few tips when it comes to securing your home.
Lock your garage doors
- Manual garage doors should be double checked that they are locked.
- If you have an attached garage, make sure the door leading into your home is locked.
Keep your garage doors shut
- Don't give thieves a chance to see what you are storing inside of it.
- Try not to leave valuables in your garage. If you do, lock them up in cabinets or storage bins.
Update your garage door opener
- Newer openers have more reliable security.
Install exterior lighting
- A dimly lit house becomes a more appealing target for burglars.
Never leave your garage door opener in your vehicle
- If a suspect breaks into your vehicle and takes it, they now have access to your home too.