Victims names released, neighbors shocked by...

Posted at 5:28 PM, Feb 13, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-14 10:39:14-05

OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV)--Daylight shows the damage: tear gas canisters shattered the window; a U-Haul truck still sits in the driveway of the home near 140th and Miami Streets.

Around 10 a.m. Friday morning, 41-year-old Jason Edwards and 35-year-old John Edwards were helping their sister Julie move out of her ex boyfriend's home.

"She had come back to the residence to collect her belongings, and that was when the incident took place," said Chief Deputy Tom Wheeler of the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office.

Investigators say Julie's ex-boyfriend, 45-year-old Kenneth Clark, shot both Jason and John Edwards inside the home. He then held his ex girlfriend hostage inside.

Clark released Julie around 2 p.m. Officers knew the men were inside with Clark, but didn't know if they were hurt or alive.

The standoff with police stretched into the night.                                                       

"Negotiations had failed, we had diligently tried throughout the day for 10, 11 hours of negotiation, and it came to an impasse. He wasn't going to come out," Wheeler said.

Just after 10 p.m. Friday, officers fired tear gas through the windows. Shortly afterwards, deputies heard a gunshot. An OPD robot discovered Clark's body, deputies say he shot himself.

John and Jason Edward's bodies were found inside the home.

Janne Ward lives across the street from Clark. She said she was shocked to see police surrounding his house.

"He thought she was moving in cause he had been trying to get her to move in with him, but come to find out that was not  the truth," Ward said.

Ward said Clark liked to garden and came over often to exchange recipes.

"He's always been easy going, he came and plowed out my driveway a couple a times with the heavy snow we've had lately,” Ward said. “Always a nice guy."

Investigators say John Edwards likely made the 911 call Friday morning at 10:20 a.m., but the cell phone initially gave a location near 150th and Blondo Streets. The 911 center eventually determined the call came from an area near Clark's home where law enforcement arrived around 11 a.m.