As the cold weather starts to set in, It's an important time to remind pet owners about the dangers winter weather could have on your pets.
Nebraska Humane Society says make sure your pet has a proper outdoor enclosure.
They say that just because it's cold outside doesn't mean your pet doesn't need as much water.
NHS officials say the water helps them break down their food and burn calories which also helps to keep them warm.
Here are some of their helpful tips
- Dog houses should be solid wood structures with a flap on the opening.
- Plastic kennels do not keep the cold air out.
- The flap to the dog house should face away from the wind -straw or hay provides warmth in doghouses.
- Do not use blankets as they become wet and moldy when the weather warms up
- Water bowls freeze during cold weather.
- Heated water bowls are a necessity in below freezing temperatures.