WILBER, Neb. (KMTV) — Convicted murderer Aubrey Trail and his attorney Benjamin Murray are asking for a new trial according to court documents filed today in Saline County.
According to the documents, Trail and Murray say there was "irregularity in the proceedings of the court" by which Trail was prevented from having a fair trial.
The reasons they list are:
- The Court's rulings at jury selection
- The Court's denial of defendant's pretrial motion to server
- The Court's denial of defendant's pretrial motion to exclude evidence of Home Depot purchases
- The Court's decision to allow gruesom photographs which unfairly prejudiced the jury
- The Court's denial of the defendant's motion for mistrial after the defendant sliced his throat with a razor in front of the jury
- The Court's decision to allow the mother of the victim, the first witness called by the State of Nebraska, who was subject to a sequestration order, to remain in the courtroom for the balance of the trial over the objection of the defendant, thereby preventing defendant from recalling her as a witness
Trail was convicted of murdering Sydney Loofe one week ago Wednesday.
You can find all of our stories about Sydney Loofe's disappearance, murder and the Aubrey Trail by going to: https://www.3newsnow.com/news/the-aubrey-trail-trial