News

Actions

Maurice Watson, Jr. waives preliminary hearing

Posted at 12:49 PM, Mar 08, 2017

In court today, Maurice Watson Jr. waived his preliminary hearing.

Watson’s attorneys made the move after prosecutors laid out more detail on what happened the night Watson allegedly sexually assaulted a Creighton University student. Prosecutors also told the judge there is DNA evidence to back up the woman’s claim.

Prosecutors told the judge Watson had been in a bedroom with a group of people when he asked the 19-year-old woman if she would talk to him. They then went to the bathroom and, according to the prosecutor, Watson forced her into oral and vaginal sex.

Prosecutors say Watson left her in the bathroom and the alleged victim and another person cleaned up her blood. The woman went to the hospital later that day, got a rape kit and her underwear was sent for testing.

"What I can tell you is there is DNA that was recovered that is consistent with the victims account," said Deputy Douglas County Attorney Brenda Beadle. "They came in kind of unexpectedly and decided to waive that prelim. So they're not contesting that we have probable cause."

Watson's attorneys have maintained their client's innocence. A district court judge will be assigned to his case in the coming days. There will be a pretrial scheduled and then a date set for trial.

For now, Watson is to remain in Nebraska and all the conditions of his bond remain in place, Beadle said.

A court hearing regarding an order for protection against Watson has also been scheduled.

Last week, the 19-year-old woman filed an order of protection against the former Creighton University basketball star.

Watson was charged last Monday with first degree felony sexual assault. He bailed out of Douglas County jail Friday, March 3.

According to court documents, the woman filed a petition and affidavit to obtain a harassment protection order on March 2. The order prohibits Watson from contacting her.

"I am scared and have a lot of fear that I will be contacted by him or on his behalf in the near future," the woman wrote in the affidavit.

A request for a hearing on the protection order was filed in Douglas County District Court on Monday. It is scheduled for April 6.