OMAHA, Neb. — Stimulus checks began rolling out in April. While many have received their non-taxable checks, many still haven't. In a new guidance released Wednesday, the IRS said stimulus checks sent to those who have died must be returned back to the Treasury Department.
The IRS has had bumps in the system. From an overwhelmed website, to shutting down the agency's phone line due to the number of calls and distributing checks to those no longer living.
Burwell resident Karie Dawe received her stimulus check through direct deposit weeks ago. Then on Monday, she received another one in the mail.
"I went and got the mail on Monday and there's one for my mom and it doesn't make any sense to me," she said.
Her mother passed away in May of 2019, almost a year to the day she got the check. It was a shocking reminder of her death. Dawe, filled with anger and confusion, didn't know what to do with the check.
"I don't know what to do so it's sitting on my fridge," she said.
Per the new guidance, in Nebraska if you've received a check for someone who has passed by mail these are the steps you can take:
1. Write "Void" in the endorsement section on the back of the check.
2. Mail the voided Treasury check to the Kansas City Refund Inquiry Unit (333 W Pershing Rd Mail Stop 6800, N-2 Kansas City, MO 64108)
3. Don't staple, bend, or paper clip the check.
4. Include a note stating the reason for returning the check.
In Nebraska if you have cashed the check or the payment was a direct deposit these are the steps you can take:
1. Submit a personal check, money order, etc., to the Kansas City Refund Inquiry Unit (333 W Pershing Rd Mail Stop 6800, N-2 Kansas City, MO 64108)
2. Write on the check/money order made payable to “U.S. Treasury” and write 2020EIP, and the taxpayer identification number (social security number, or individual taxpayer identification number) of the recipient of the check.
3. Include a brief explanation of the reason for returning the check.
The same steps apply to Iowa residents. The mailing address is - Atlanta Refund Inquiry Unit 4800 Buford Hwy Mail Stop 112 Chamblee, GA 30341.
Checks are still being sent out prioritized by income starting from low to high. The process is still expected to take months.
Check the status of your stimulus check here.
Check your eligibility for a stimulus check and find answers to frequently asked questions here.