OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) - County health officials announced the first coronavirus-related death in Douglas County on Friday.
The death is also believed to be the first coronavirus-related death in Nebraska.
The case is a man in his 50s who had underlying health conditions, according to county health officials. He had contact with a known COVID-19 case out of state and had been self-quarantined since March 11 at home.
“The family of this individual has our most sincere sympathies,” said Dr. Adi Pour, the Director of the Douglas County Health Department. “This new disease has been in our community for only a short while, but those with co-morbidities are at a greater risk of complications.”
Douglas County health officials also said Friday two women in their 30s have tested positive for coronavirus. The Health Department’s Epidemiology Team has determined both women had contact with a known COVID-19 case.
There has now been 47 total coronavirus cases in Douglas County.
DCHD’s information line remains open to anyone with general questions about COVID-19. That number, (402) 444-3400, is answered seven days a week from 8:30 a.m. until 4 p.m. Nebraska DHHS has a COVID-19 information line open from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. daily at (402) 552-6645.