Actions

Family of 4th dead worker sues Tyson over Waterloo outbreak

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-KMTV.png
Posted at 1:05 PM, Aug 10, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-10 14:05:05-04

WATERLOO, Iowa (AP) — The family of a fourth worker who died of coronavirus during an outbreak at Tyson Foods’ largest pork processing plant is suing the company over his death.

The lawsuit says Isidro Fernandez of Waterloo, Iowa died April 26 from complications of COVID-19, leaving behind a wife and children. The case was filed last week and is similar to one brought in June by the same lawyers on behalf of the estates of three other deceased Waterloo workers. The lawsuits allege Tyson put employees at risk by downplaying concerns and covering up the outbreak in order to keep them on the job.

Tyson says the deaths are tragic but that it vigorously disputes claims of wrongdoing.

Coronavirus Resources and Information

Johns Hopkins global coronavirus tracker