ELKHORN, Neb. (KMTV) — Life Care Center of Elkhorn is reporting an additional coronavirus-related death and another resident who tested positive.
According to a release from Life Care, the newest death brings the total at the long-term care facility to 10. It also says another resident has tested positive, bringing facility's total to 69 infected residents so far.
The Nebraska health department issued a report following an unannounced inspection of the facility, saying that the facility has been following state and federal procedures for protecting the health of the residents but cited the facility for not properly bathing some residents.
In response to the citation for failing to bathe some residents during the outbreak, Life Care Center says sponge baths were given but they failed to document that those took place and have changed their procedures accordingly.
"Interviews revealed residents received bed baths per infection control recommendations. However, resident interview revealed residents had not received any kind of bath for 1-2 weeks. Record review revealed an absence of documentation showing residents received any type of bath. Therefore, the facility was found to be in violation of regulatory requirements."
Life Care Center says a deep cleaning of the entire facility occurred yesterday which was carried out by personnel in hazmat suits.
Life Care Center provided the following information:
- Confirmed number of COVID-19-related deaths since April 27: 10 (+1)
- Current number of residents: 60 (-1)
- Total number of residents who have been tested: 79
- Total number of residents who have tested positive since April 27: 69 (+1)
- Current number of residents who have tested positive: Being cared for in local hospitals: 7 Being cared for on-site: 55
- Residents who have tested negative on-site: 5
- Number of employees on April 27: 140
- Current number of employees out sick: 12 (-14)
- Total number of employees who have tested positive: 30
- Total number of employees who have tested negative: 59
- Total number of employees who have returned to work: 14 (+2)
- First received notification of a positive COVID-19 test related to our building: April 27, 2020
- First resident sent to the hospital who later tested positive: May 8, 2020
- First notification given to all residents/staff about positive COVID-19 test: April 28, 2020
- Full testing of all residents: May 11, 2020