NewsLocal News


Car of missing Cass County woman found in Otoe County

The car belonged to Amber Tjaden
Amber Tjaden
Posted at 8:18 AM, Feb 06, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-06 19:05:16-05

OTOE COUNTY, NE — A car belonging to 48-year old Amber Tjaden, who has been missing since January 27th, was found on a remote road in Otoe County.

According to a news release from the Otoe County Sheriff's Office, a body was found near the vehicle. The Sheriff's Office has also requested assistance from the Nebraska State Patrol. An autopsy will be performed on the body that was found.

Tjaden is the daughter of former Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle. She is a teacher at Metro Community College.

Suttle spoke with 3 News Now on Saturday morning about the update to the case. He said someone with the Omaha Police Department stopped by his home yesterday to personally tell the family the vehicle was found with a body nearby.

Suttle said they are waiting for final identification, but he believes the body belongs to his daughter.

"They have found a car, and they have found a person which we believe is going to turn out to be Amber."

Suttle added that the vehicle was found through the help of a social media campaign to locate it, and he appreciates those who called in with tips.

Cass County court documents show Amber Tjaden's husband, 38-year-old Matthew Tjaden, was arrested on January 28, 2021, shortly after sheriff's deputies went to the couple's home to check up on Amber.

Matthew Tjaden was arrested for flight to avoid arrest, child abuse and resisting arrest according to the documents. He has since been released from jail and is scheduled to appear again on March 4.

Court documents show Amber Tjaden filed a domestic abuse protection order against Matthew Tjaden in Douglas County in July 2015. Documents show that Amber wrote Matthew was "loading his shot gun and on his way to shoot me" on June 26, 2015.

Amber wrote of how Matthew allegedly had become "angry, violent and verbally abusive." Amber wrote that Matthew "texts and calls me from Iowa 30-40 times a day, threatening me."

Amber also wrote of an incident in February 2015 where Matthew allegedly punched a wall at their home and also picked her up and threw her onto the couch. Amber wrote she filed a protection order but the next day, she said Matthew drove her down to the courthouse and made her get it dismissed.

Amber also wrote, "I am in a state of constant fear for the safety of my children and myself."

Suttle has taken his two grandsons into his home and says they are becoming surrogate parents to them as they work through the grieving process.

This is a developing story. Stay with 3 News Now and for updates.