BELLEVUE, Neb. — A devastating fire Christmas morning has forced at least nine families out of their homes at the Fontenelle Hill Apartments in Bellevue.
Jack Syphers with the Bellevue Fire Department says the flames were called in just after 4:30 Tuesday morning.
When units began to arrive a man was trapped on a third floor balcony. A Bellevue Fire Battalion Chief, with the help of two local police officers, rigged up a ladder and helped the man down from the balcony, as other units began to battle the flames.
Syphers says the building will likely be uninhabitable due to smoke and other damage throughout the building.
There are 10 apartments in the building. Red Cross workers have been in contact with nine of the families living there, and are working to reach a tenth according to Syphers.
Two people at the scene complained of smoke inhalation, but no serious injuries were reported.
The Nebraska state Fire Marshal will investigate the fire.
This is a developing story, check back here for updates.