OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — The Douglas County Health Department has launched a vaccine notification system. People over the age of 65 and those with high risk medical conditions can sign up and will be notified when and where there's a vaccine available for them.
The sign-up is not an appointment for a vaccine, it only confirms you'll be notified when one is available. Local healthcare systems expect to complete Phase 1-A of the vaccine rollout by the end of January. Once that is done, they'll begin Phase 1-B, starting with those ages 65 and older.
The 65 and older group and those with high risk medical conditions were bumped up in vaccine priority by the state last week.
"Phase 1-B group got updated very recently to include everyone over 65 and people with underlying conditions. So that's a very big group. People were very anxious to make sure that they are updated as soon as we can get vaccine to them," Douglas County Health Department senior epidemiologist, Dr. Anne O'Keefe said.
DCHD says a soft launch of the sign-up over the weekend led to nearly 1,900 people adding their names. Those people do not need to re-add them. By Tuesday, O'Keefe says around 20,000 people have signed up. No major glitches were reported but if you have technical difficulties you can contact the health department over the phone.
If you do not have internet access and are over the age of 65, you can have someone else enter your information and then enter their email address so they can inform you of notifications.