NewsLocal News

Actions

Early morning apartment fire displaces residents

Posted at 6:04 AM, Aug 08, 2019
and last updated 2019-08-08 08:16:12-04

OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — Fire crews battled early morning flames which displaced residents at an apartment complex near 141st and Manderson.

Firefighters say the fire started on the third floor of the complex on a balcony, and the third floor collapsed onto the first floor, which ended up displacing 12 units, about a quarter of the building.

"Our first priority is life safety, we have to get the people out. Our first job is to get in there, notify all the occupants and evacuate the building immediately," said assistant fire chief Joe Salcedo.

The Red Cross came on the scene and helped the people who were displaced. No injuries were reported, and the cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental, due to improperly discarded smoking materials on an exterior balcony.