NewsLocal News


Fire rips through Fontenelle Hills Apartments

Building said to be a total loss
Posted at 11:53 AM, Mar 21, 2021
and last updated 2021-03-21 17:48:51-04

BELLEVUE, Neb. (KMTV) - A Bellevue apartment building is a total loss following a fire on Saturday.

Fire crews responded to the Fontenelle Hills Apartments just after noon on Saturday.

Jack Syphers, a spokesman for the Bellevue Fire Department, said the preliminary cause of the fire is improper disposal of smoking materials.

The building didn't have a sprinkler system, Syphers said, because it was built in the 1970's before one was required.

The fire started on the top floor and spread. The roof eventually collapsed.

Syphers said the American Red Cross came in and assisted displaced residents.

No serious injuries were reported.

Syphers said the fire marshal will determine when the building will come down.

Fire crews remained on scene until 8 p.m.

Another fire tore through Fontenelle Hills Apartments on Christmas Day back in 2018, displacing at least nine families during that blaze.

Download our apps today for all of our latest coverage.

Get the latest news and weather delivered straight to your inbox.