OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) - With temperatures expected to be close to 100 for the next five days, it is important to know how to stay safe during times of excessive heat, especially considering there are plenty of outdoor festivals and concerts coming up over the Fourth of July holiday.
The Red Cross offers the following to avoid heat related illnesses:
- Eat small meals and eat more often
- Stay hydrated, avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight and light-colored clothing
- Take frequent breaks if you are working outdoors, avoid strenuous outdoor activity
- Do not leave children or pets in enclosed vehicles