OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — UPDATED 2/05/2021 6:00 p.m.
According to the Omaha Fire Department (OFD), crews were dispatched to a multi-family home at 10th and Willam Streets on Tuesday afternoon.
There was a fire on the basement level near an entrance on the "B" side of the structure.
OFD said in a release that the 911-caller stated they had attempted to defrost frozen pipes the prior evening, using a propane fueled torch. The propane fueled torch was left unattended, located too close to combustible items and the torch then ignited the combustible items.
Individuals attempted to extinguish fire, but the fire spread. Utilities were on scene and multiple occupants were displaced due to the fire. No injuries reported at this time. Multiple fire units were rotated onto the scene due to inclement weather.
According to local historians, the building is known as the Joel N. Cornish House and it was built in the 1880s.
We will provide more information as it becomes available.