OPD release details in officer-involved shooting

Posted at 4:58 PM, Apr 18, 2017
and last updated 2017-04-18 19:30:27-04
According to OPD a 31-year old male suspected of a Monday afternoon armed robbery and auto theft was shot by an Omaha Police officer at the conclusion of a pursuit. 
Omaha Police were first alerted about the suspect Monday morning, April 17th at 11:00 a.m. when his ex-girlfriend reported that the suspect had her vehicle, was using drugs, possibly armed with a handgun, and that she was concerned for his well being.  She identified him as Dillon R. Trejo.
On Monday afternoon at 2:40 p.m. Omaha Police officers were called to the Bucky’s gas station at 2223 South 24th Street for an armed robbery.  The suspect later identified as Trejo, entered Bucky’s, pointed a handgun at the employees, the customers, and took money from the cash register. Trejo was driving a white 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, which was recovered unoccupied at 303 South 51st Street.
On Monday afternoon at 3:18 p.m. Omaha Police officers were called to 303 South 51st Street for a report of a stolen auto.  The victim reported that a white male arrived at this location in a white 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis.  The victim said that the suspect later identified as Trejo, stole the victim’s white 2012 Ford F-150 truck, Iowa license plate EAH789. 
At 4:21 p.m. Omaha Police officers spotted the stolen Ford F-150 in the area of 25th and Marcy Streets.  A traffic stop was attempted, but Trejo refused to stop for the officer.  The Omaha Police helicopter, ABLE-1, took over and monitored the stolen vehicle’s location.  At 4:30 p.m. Trejo stopped the stolen vehicle he was driving at 2618 Rees Street and attempted to run from officers.  Trejo ran from an officer about the length of four vehicles then suddenly turned towards the officer.  Trejo pulled up his T-shirt, reached into his waist band and raised his hand and arm up toward the officer as if he had a weapon in his hand to shoot at the officer.  The officer discharged his handgun at Trejo hitting him at least one time.  The short foot pursuit and the shooting were captured on the involved officer’s body worn camera.
For neighbors who live in the area they are shocked this happened. 

"I thought it was my house but it wasn’t,"  said Timothy McDermott. 

 McDermott was returning home from work when the shooting happened, and his surveillance camera caught some of the action, "That never happens here."
Trejo was immediately taken into custody and officers began first aid.  Omaha Fire Medics responded to the scene.  Trejo was transported to the Nebraska Medical Center where he is being treated for his injuries.  Trejo is currently in stable condition and is currently under a police hospital guard.  Charges are pending.
The investigation is in the very early stages.   Nine civilian witnesses and 11 Omaha police officers have been interviewed at this point in the investigation.  Anyone who has any information about Trejo or who witnessed this incident is encouraged to call the Omaha Police Department at 404-444-5656.
Per Omaha Police Department policy, any officer who discharges his/her firearm during an incident is placed on paid administrative leave pending the Officer-Involved Investigations Team and Internal Affairs investigations.  The officer involved in this incident has been placed on administrative leave.    
Additional information about this incident will be released by the Omaha Police Department as the investigation concludes.