Family and friends of a Council Bluffs woman, killed by a suspected drunk driver last year continue to fume over the release of the man police say is responsible for her death.
Sarah Root died January 31. Police say 19-year-old Eswin Mejia was racing down the street when he slammed into Root’s vehicle at 33rd and L. Prosecutors said Mejia’s blood alcohol level was more than three times the legal limit.
Mejia posted ten percent of the $50,000 bond, or $5,000, for his release from jail over the weekend. Root’s family addressed his release during a vigil Sunday in Council Bluffs.
“[I] find it very upsetting that the cost of a bond proved less than the cost of her funeral,” Roots father, Scott Root said.
KMTV Action 3 News went to the south Omaha address listed for the 19-year-old Monday. The family who answered the door said he no longer lived there.
A Nebraska courts search revealed missed court appearances in the 19-year-old’s criminal past both related to driving offenses. One of them was dropped or dismissed. But another was not.
Mejia’s attorney said Monday he remained in Douglas County following his release. He called the circumstances, “tragic,” but would not comment beyond that because he had not seen all the evidence in the case.
Sarah Root’s mother, Michelle Wilson-Root commented on KMTV’s social media site, responding to questions about Mejia’s bond.
“I agree with everything you have all written,” Wilson-Root said. “Those are all questions we have. If it wasn’t for my ex-husband checking every day with the investigators, we wouldn’t have known [Mejia] was released. This is such a big nightmare. We will not stop until we get justice for my baby girl. She deserves that.”
Mejia’s felony motor vehicle homicide charge could put him in prison for 20 years if convicted. His next court appearance is February 26.