OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) - Omaha ranks among the cities most affected by bed bugs, a new survey by pest control company Orkin finds.
Omaha ranks 30th on Orkin's top 50 Bed Bug Cities List. Last year, Omaha was 35th on the list. And in 2019, Omaha ranked 39th.
The list is based on treatment data from the metro areas where Orkin performed the most bed bug treatments from December 1, 2019 – November 30, 2020. The ranking includes both residential and commercial treatments.
Two cities in Iowa, Cedar Rapids (35) and Davenport (38), also made the top 50 list. Chicago topped the rankings.
Orkin offers the following tips to be proactive against bed bugs:
- Survey the room for signs of an infestation. Be on the lookout for tiny, black, ink-colored stains on mattress seams, in soft furniture and behind headboards. They can even hide out in electrical outlets and picture frames!
- Lift and look in bed bug hiding spots: the mattress, box spring and other furniture, as well as behind baseboards, pictures and even torn wallpaper.
- Elevate luggage away from the bed and wall. The safest places are in the bathroom or on counters.
- Examine your luggage carefully while repacking and once you return home from a trip. Always store luggage away from the bed. Be sure to also examine all secondhand furniture and clothing before bringing it in your home and inspect after guests visit.
- Place all dryer-safe clothing from your luggage in the dryer for at least 45 minutes at the highest setting after you return home.