OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — Starting on Jan. 4, new guidelines will be taking effect for participants and spectators at school-sponsored events in Nebraska.
The new guidelines, provided by the Nebraska School Activities Association, are:
- Active participants are permitted, but not required, to wear face coverings during competition/performance.
- Coaches and non-active participants (those not currently on the court, mat or stage) are required to wear face coverings at all times.
- Spectators are required to wear face coverings at all times while attending indoor events.
- Face coverings must cover the nose and mouth.
- Attendance is restricted to 50% of occupancy. (Yellow DHM)
- The host school may establish additional requirements in consultation with local health departments. Additional requirements implemented by the host school must be the same for all schools, officials, judges, and spectators.
- Recommended protocols for winter contest hosts:
- Six feet of physical distance between household groups in stands and spectator areas
- Create separate points of entry and seating for home and visitor teams/spectators
- Provide no concession stands or separate/multiple co11cession stands for home and visitor spectators
- Provide separate/multiple restrooms for home and visitor spectators
- Use signage, stanchions or floor markings to ensure physical distancing of six feet at concession stands
- Communicate availability of locker room space for the opposing team and officials to maintain 6 feet of physical distance
- Implement diligent and effective cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched objects and surfaces
It will be the responsibility of schools to oversee compliance of the guidelines.