A well known 1800's era historic building is getting new life in downtown Fremont.
The company was first established in 1868 as a retail grocery store at the southeast corner of Sixth Street and Park Avenue. Three of the brothers, Joseph T. May, Jacob K. May (Jake) and William L. May were the original founders, and they were joined a few years later by the fourth brother, Charles H. May.
Glen and Nancy Ellis bought the May Brothers Building, renovated and reopened with a coffeehouse and stage on the first floor it as they continue to work on the upper floors.
In the 1860's, the building, on the corner of Sixth and Park Streets was a bustling grocery store. In 1868, Joseph T. May, then 20, first came to Fremont to start a small retail grocery, Staples and Fancy Groceries at a different location. His brother, Jacob K. May came to Fremont in 1869 to form the May Brothers Groceries. He moved the store to Sixth and Park Avenue (then called F Street). In about 1878, William Lew May and Charles H. May joined their brothers in Fremont.
The second floor is home to entrepreneur alley, a dedicated section of office space available to local entrepreneurs and a co-working space. The third floor is a network of classrooms and meeting spaces where we will host a variety of educational opportunities such as computer programming, culinary, art classes and community programs.