Two big questions in the Big Ten this weekend. Can Nebraska finally get a signature road win against a upper tier opponent? And how will Ohio State respond after their first loss of the season? Heading into the the 2016 season we also thought this would be Michigan's first real test as they travel to East Lansing but Michigan State has done very little to prove they can even last two quarters with the Wolverines. I do have a new top team in the rankings and how far did Ohio State drop? Let's check it out.
1- Michigan (7-0,4-0)
Last week: Defeated Illinois 41-7
This week: @ Michigan State
- Michigan picked up from where it left off after a bye week by dismantling Illinois. This weekend's rivalry matchup at Michigan State was suppose to be a true test on who the Wolverines are. We might have to wait a little longer. Thanks Sparty.
2- Ohio State (6-1, 3-1)
Last week: Lost to Penn State 24-21
This week: vs. Northwestern
- Ohio State went into the 4th quarter in Happy Valley with 21-7 lead. They then got outscored 17-0 and suffered a rare collapse. Many people are now looking to see how the Buckeyes respond at home against an upstart Northwestern team.
3- Nebraska (7-0, 4-0)
Last week: Defeated Purdue 27-14
This week: @ Wisconsin
- Nebraska stumbled to the finish line against Purdue which raises big concerns about the physical health of this team. There is no question that the Huskers will have to find a way to get better offensive line play. The return of Jordan Westerkamp will provide a key weapon for the offense, in what will be the toughest defense this team has faced.
4- Wisconsin (5-2, 2-2)
Last week: Defeated Iowa 17-9
This week: vs. Nebraska
- A solid performance on the road has the Badgers very much alive in the West division race. This Wisconsin team continues to play top level defense and a running game that looks very familiar to the Badger faithful. Badgers will be a home favorite as unbeaten Nebraska comes to Madison for a primetime showdown.
5- Penn State (5-2, 3-1)
Last week: Defeated Ohio State 24-21
This week: @ Purdue
- Penn State continues to ride the momentum train with an impressive come from behind victory over Ohio State. The James Franklin "Hot Seat" conversation can be put to rest as the Nittany Lions are playing some solid football lately and finally got that signature win.
6- Northwestern (4-3, 3-1)
Last week: Defeated Indiana 24-14
This week: @ Ohio State
- How about those Wildcats? They have won their last 3 games, including 2 on the road. Northwestern has established an offensive identity but will have an enormous challenge heading to Columbus this weekend against an angry Ohio State squad.
7- Iowa (5-3, 3-2)
Last week; Lost to Wisconsin 17-9
This week: Bye
- The Hawkeyes have shown some improvement on defense and get a much needed week off before traveling to Penn State and turning around to host Michigan.
8- Minnesota (5-2, 2-2)
Last week: Defeated Rutgers 34-32
This week: @ Illinois
- This team continues to be one of the more confusing teams in the conference. They were nearly upset by Rutgers yet used a backup QB to shred Maryland. Would it shock you if Illinois made this a game?
9- Maryland (5-2, 2-2)
Last week: Defeated Michigan State 28-17
This week: @ Indiana
- Maryland was able to take advantage of a struggling Michigan State team and get one game closer to bowl eligibility. They very well could get that this week from a reeling Indiana team.
10- Indiana (3-4, 1-3)
Last week: Lost to Northwestern 24-14
This week: vs. Maryland
- The Hoosiers have dropped 3 in a row and all of a sudden are going to struggle to make a bowl game themselves. They absolutely must have a win this weekend if they want to be the first Indiana team in over 25 years to have consecutive bowl game appearances.
11- Purdue (3-4, 1-3)
Last week: Lost to Nebraska 27-14
This week: vs. Penn State
- Purdue played well on the road in Lincoln and had Nebraska on the ropes for a good portion of the game. They will need that same kind of effort against a very confident Penn State team this Saturday.
12- Michigan State (2-5, 0-4)
Last week: Lost to Maryland 28-17
This week: vs. Michigan
- Another week, another loss for the Spartans. I remember how excited I was for the October 29th. Michigan traveling to East Lansing. Was suppose to be an epic Big Ten showdown. Does anyone think this will be competitive after the 1st quarter?
13- Illinois (2-5, 1-3)
Last week: Lost to Michigan 41-8
This week: vs. Minnesota
- I know Michigan is good and all but Illinois looked awful. A poor effort for a team that you would at least hope would be showing some improvement along the way.
14- Rutgers (2-6, 0-5)
Last week: Lost to Minnesota 34-32
This week: Bye
- Rutgers was so close to getting that first conference win but seems to find ways to come up short at the end in even the tight games.